Utah is a hot spot for people of all ages – from young professionals to families to retirees. (It is one of the top 5 fastest growing states!) Why is living in Utah so popular? Whether you’re looking for plenty of outdoor recreation, a good place to raise a family, or a region with abundant resources, this is the place! As a homebuilder with years of experience building homes in Utah, Sego Homes knows where some of the best places are to relocate. Let’s talk about a few things you should know before moving to Utah.
Thinking of Relocating to Utah? Here’s What to Know!
Moving to a new state can be both exciting and stressful. If you’re considering relocating to Utah, this beautiful state, known for its stunning landscapes and year-round outdoor fun, is a great place to call home. With a low crime rate, reasonable cost of living, and historical equality, it’s no wonder so many people are choosing to move to Utah.
However, before you make such a move, it’s important to have a better idea of what to expect. Here is an overview of key factors, including the cost of living, taxes, the job market, and the state’s educational system.
Cost of Living:
There’s a relatively affordable cost of living in Utah when compared to many other states.
- Housing: Utah’s housing market has been on the rise, particularly in urban areas like Salt Lake City and Park City. Be prepared for competitive real estate markets and consider your budget accordingly. While the market is strong, you can still find reasonably priced housing, especially compared to other states, coinciding with a more affordable cost of living.
- Transportation: Utah has an efficient public transportation system. From Salt Lake City, you can easily access other major cities via the light railway system. Utah’s award-winning local public transport, Trax, is a convenient and affordable system offering public transportation around SLC and surrounding neighborhoods. Car ownership is also common, and gas prices tend to be reasonable.
Understanding the tax structure in Utah is vital to your financial planning.
- Income Tax: Utah has a flat-rate income tax system that applies to all residents regardless of income level. As of 2023, the rate is 4.95%. Compared to other states that levy income taxes, Utah’s flat rate is considered moderate and relatively friendly to taxpayers.
- Sales Tax: The statewide sales tax rate is 4.85%, with additional local taxes increasing the combined sales tax rate to an average of 6.77%. Certain items, such as groceries and prescription drugs, are exempt from sales tax.
- Property Tax: Utah’s property tax rate in 2023 is approximately 0.54%, lower than the 1.07% national average. This places Utah amongst the states with moderate property tax rates across the nation.
One of the benefits of living in Utah is the diverse economy. There are job opportunities in a range of sectors, and the unemployment rate is very low. The economy is known for its resilience and growth. Utah is a great jumping-off point for all walks of life, including college graduates or anyone looking to start a small business.
- Tech Hub: Utah is often referred to as the “Silicon Slopes” due to its thriving technology sector, with many tech companies establishing a presence in the state.
- Diverse Opportunities: Various industries offer job opportunities, making it easier for professionals from different backgrounds to find suitable employment.
- Networking: Utah’s business community is known for its supportive and entrepreneurial atmosphere. Networking opportunities are very advantageous for job seekers.
If you have children or plan to in the future, the quality of the educational system in Utah is quite competitive.
- K-12: Utah’s public education system has improved in recent years, though school quality varies by district. Research the schools in your prospective area. To graduate from high school in Utah, students must earn 24 credits. 9th- and 10th-grade students take the Utah Aspire Plus test, which measures reading, English, math, and science proficiency.
- Higher Education: Utah is home to several well-regarded universities and colleges, including the University of Utah, Brigham Young University, and Utah State University. The state also offers a strong community college system.
With careful planning and research, you can make your move to the Beehive State a smooth and successful transition.
We Offer the Best Homes for Sale in Utah
A new home is a great investment for your future. If you’re anticipating buying a home in Utah soon, the friendly, knowledgeable team of experts at Sego Homes can’t wait to help you become a homeowner! We invite you to explore our communities in South Jordan, Farmington, and Lindon, Utah.
Whether you are interested in a single-family home, villa, or townhome, Sego Homes offers all three in the Daybreak master-planned community. Beautiful and modern, our unique homes emphasize comfort through tall ceilings and picturesque windows in every home. Our homes are ideal for first-time buyers, growing families and those just moving to the area. The eco-friendly community provides smart, healthy home solutions as well as resort-style amenities, and more. Our villas, townhomes, and single-family homes at Daybreak have great outdoor spaces, decks, and terraces that showcase the beautiful Wasatch Mountains.
Our Station Park community in Farmington features our award-winning Sky Terrace townhomes. Built with the usual Sego quality, these beautiful modern townhomes have large picture windows and indoor/outdoor spaces that allow you to take advantage of the mountain and valley views. This unique Sego community has walking trails and is just minutes from FrontRunner Transit, downtown Farmington, and I-15.
Our new community, Songbird Cove in Lindon, features beautiful townhomes with large picture windows and indoor/outdoor spaces that offer unbelievable mountain views. Songbird Cove is a great place to call home with a fully landscaped, fenced backyard, a 2-car garage, an optional finished basement, and a large luxurious owner’s suite. In addition to a pickleball court, residents have easy access to city parks, and local canyons and trails. The community is 45 minutes from Salt Lake City on I-15.
Connect with Sego Homes Today!
If you’re considering a move to the beautiful Beehive State, come see us at Sego Homes. We have a variety of homes for sale in Utah! For more information about our new homes and communities, connect with us today!