The last few years have brought forth a variety of rough conditions for homeowners and homebuilders: too few tradespeople, supply chain issues, rising interest rates, and an extreme shortage of new home inventory. While the supply chain issues and interest rates have to work themselves out, builders are going gangbusters building new homes as quickly as they can. But there are still some barriers along the way.
As many builders can attest, finding available land is difficult in many parts of the U.S. Accordingly, we are building on smaller parcels of land, and building smaller homes. We are also thinking more about increased density within the limited space we have. One of the solutions that many builders, including us here at Sego Homes, are considering is the Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU). In this article, we’ll discuss the basics of the ADU as well as what kind of ADUs Sego Homes is building.
The Basics of ADUs (Accessible Dwelling Units)
- What is an ADU?
An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), also known as a granny flat or in-law suite, is a secondary residence located on the same property as the primary home. ADUs can be converted portions of existing homes, additions to new or existing homes, new standalone accessory structures or converted portions of existing standalone structures. They can either be attached to the main house, such as a garage, basement or attic apartment, or they can be detached, such as a standalone structure in the backyard.
- Why are ADUs valuable additions?
ADUs have the potential to increase housing affordability, create an additional stream of income, and enable seniors to stay near family as they age. ADUs also serve to provide additional housing options within established neighborhoods, often contributing to increased housing density without drastically altering the existing character of the area. ADUs have gained popularity as a solution to address housing shortages and increase housing flexibility in many urban and suburban communities.
- What’s included in an ADU?
ADUs are designed to be self-contained living spaces and typically include their own entrance, kitchen, bathroom, and living area. They provide privacy and security, whether being used as an additional dwelling unit for rent or a mother-in-law suite. At Sego Homes, we have ADUs available for a variety of different uses.
In-Law Suites Are For More Than Just The In-Laws!
Having an ADU can be a great investment, as it can increase the value of your property by 10-20%. In addition, an ADU can also yield extra income, and give you more flexibility in your lifestyle.
While providing a private, convenient home for the grandparents is the best-known application for an ADU, there are plenty of other ways to use yours. In fact, the possibilities are practically endless! Here are just a few fun ideas:
- Home office: Nothing beats having a dedicated space for work or study. Peace, quiet, privacy. And since it’s separate from the rest of the house, when you finish for the day, you can truly walk away.
- Home gym: Your very own private gym! What a great way to stay fit and healthy. (BONUS: Save yourself from paying a monthly gym membership fee while adding value to your home!)
- Media room: Enjoy movies and TV shows in your own space. (No obnoxious seatmates!) Install surround sound – and soundproofed walls so you don’t disturb your neighbors – then binge-watch your faves all night long!
- Game room: Party Central! Just set up a pool table, game table, foosball, dart board, or any other type of game you enjoy. Don’t forget the video game consoles and a big-screen TV – and the drinks and snacks!
- Guest quarters: If friends and family love to visit, an ADU is the perfect alternative to an impersonal (or pricey) hotel room. Offer your visitors a comfortable bed, as well as their own private space.
- Boomerang suites: Studies show that 50% of those under 30 move back in with the ‘rents after they graduate from college with tuition debt, unable to afford sky-high housing prices. An ADU is a way to help your kids transition. You can change minimal rent, while they save money.
Here at Sego Homes, we have three brand-new floor plans that will include ADU options.
The Coventry is a paired villa plan that offers an ADU above the garage. This could be used as a private office, guest room or workout space. You can also rent out this space as an apartment for extra income! (Talk about an added benefit.)
The Voyager and The Legacy are single-family plans that will offer ADU options in the basement. These plans have a separate entrance for private living. (Perfect for an in-law unit, guest room, independent living space for adult children… or pretty much anything you want.)
Contact Sego Homes Today!
ADUs are a great addition to your home, providing living space for family members, serving as rental units to generate extra income, or contributing to addressing the housing shortages and affordability issues in many areas. If you are interested in learning more about the flexible and efficient use of space ADUs offer in Sego homes, contact us today.